Eagan Independent

Best post-finals weekend activities

Katie Warnke, Staff Writer

The weekends after finals are some of the best weekends of the school year. With no homework and a three day break, these weekends are filled with a little extra free time for many people, though it can sometimes be hard to find something to do with all that time. Here are some fun things you can do to de-stress after finals and enjoy the extra time you might have.

Head up North

If you have a full day of time, and a car (or someone to drive you), grab some pals and head up to Duluth or the North Shore. Duluth is currently holding Bentleyville, a free holiday lights

display. Go here after dark to see a giant display of lights, free popcorn and hot chocolate, and maybe even see Santa. During the day, go on a hike or adventure to Gooseberry Park and look at the beautiful waterfall, or hang out in Duluth by Lake Superior.  

Movie Night

After a long week, a movie night is a great way to unwind and relax. Invite over some friends, watch with your family, or watch alone and pick the movie of your choice. There are many new movie releases on Netflix and other areas such as Apple TV. Here are some ideas of recent releases:

Netflix: Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil, Spy Kids: Mission Critical: Season 2, Sixteen Candles, and Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow

Apple TV/iTunes: Incredibles 2, Crazy Rich Asians, The Nun, The Meg, and Oceans 8

Free City Exploring

Head into Minneapolis and St. Paul after finals and take advantage of the many free activities and things to do. Pop over to the Minneapolis Institute of Art and view some great artwork (general admission is free, but paid tickets are required for special exhibits). Grab some friends and head down to Minnehaha Falls for some fresh air after finals and a great view of the possibly frozen waterfall, Minnehaha is a classic Twin Cities activity. Another outdoor activity, if it’s not too cold, is the Walker Art Center Sculpture Garden. View the classic “Cherry on a Spoon” sculpture at the garden along with many other unique and fun sculptures.  

Go to a Sports Game

A great thing to do on a chilly night with friends would be to head out to watch a sports game in the Twin Cities. Many sports are currently in full swing for both college and professional levels. If you are looking for a cheaper option head over to the U of M and watch one of their many sports games or meets for a variety of sports. For something pro, go to a Wild game or a Timberwolves game this weekend.

Take Advantage of Winter Activities

Winter sports are starting up and the Twin Cities has a lot to offer!  Buck Hill and Afton Alps are now open for the season. Visit them for a fun day of skiing, snowboarding, or tubing.  A great way to get fresh air and some exercise, skiing and snowboarding are always fun options. If you are looking for something a bit less physical, tubing at Buck Hill will never disappoint.  

146 total views, 4 views today