The student news site of Eagan High School

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

College Decisions- What To Expect and How To Prepare Your Applications

Maria Peterson in front of the college info wall near the counseling office. This is a great information source for all college related opportunities at EHS!

As the end of the school year approaches, many seniors such as myself at EHS are finalizing their plans for after high school.  One important aspect of this has been the college decisions coming out over the past few months, and many of my peers have been committing to various schools. This made me wonder; how have my peers prepared for their applications for the colleges they are interested in attending, and how can future students interested in attending college prepare for their applications?  I asked a few seniors at EHS what thoughts and advice they had about these subjects.

Questions:

1. Are you planning on going to a 4 or 2 year school, military school, taking a gap year, or another option?
  2. When did you apply for college?
  3. What were the easiest and hardest parts of college applications for you?
  4. How many schools did you apply to?
  5. What advice would you give to younger students at EHS about college applications?

Maria Peterson

1. I’m planning to go to a 4 year college, UW-Eau Claire!
  2. I applied early decision for most but regular decision for a few of my applications.
  3. Easiest was filling out all of the forms, and the hardest part was writing the essays.
  4. I applied to 3 schools! Just my top choices.
  5. I would say to really start thinking about applications at the end of your junior year/throughout the summer before your senior year. The more ahead you get in applications the easier they are!

Ben Larson

1. I am planning to go to a 4 year school.
  2. I applied about a month before the early action deadline.
  3. The hardest part about applications was finding things that I could write about for the different colleges. The easiest part was being able to write about my actual experiences. I thought it was very easy to go in depth on certain things.
  4. I applied to 6 different colleges
  5. If I were to give any advice it would be to start early on your common essay as that helped me a very large amount and saved me a lot of time. Also finding those experiences and things that you find important in life onto your application is super important.

Angie Morton

1. I’m planning on going to a 4 year college.
  2. I just applied for college.
  3. The easiest part was figuring out what degree/subject I wanted to major in, but the hardest was figuring out which college I wanted to attend.
  4. I only applied to 1 so far, but I still have a few I want to check out.
  5. Some advice I’d give to others would be not trying to settle too quickly or rush when it comes to finding a college. The college will stick out to you once you find one.

If you are nervous about college applications and decisions, the best advice I can give you is to reach out to the counselors here at EHS or contact someone from the school you are interested in applying to.  Good luck Wildcats!