The student news site of Eagan High School

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

One Movie Can Make Your Jaw Drop: Review of Divergent

Set in a dystopian United States, society has now been split up into five factions: Abnegation, Erudite, Candor, Amity, and Dauntless. Abnegation is the selfless faction, helping those in need, and running the government. Erudite are the intelligent, the inventors. Candor are the honest, the judicial system. Amity is the faction of the kind, they are the farmers. And Dauntless are the brave, the soldiers and police of this new society.

Beatrice Prior has grown up in Abnegation, with her father being one of the higher ups of her faction, and she does not truly believe that she belongs there. She is hard on herself, always thinking she is not selfless enough, especially to the standards of her brother, Caleb. But lucky her, she does not always need to be stuck in the faction she was born in. When the citizens reach a certain age, they go through a serum test to see which faction they truly belong in. However, Beatrice’s tests are inconclusive; there is not a specific faction that she fits in. In other words, she is what society calls Divergent, and considered extremely dangerous.

On decision day, she makes a sudden choice to leave Abnegation and join Dauntless, the brave, shortening her name to Tris. As time goes on, she does seem to fit in to her new faction despite the constant teasing from the other inductees, calling her “Stiff”, the unkind term the other factions use to refer to the Abnegation. She meets the hardheaded trainer Four, who becomes one of her closest companion, (and even more than that), along with her friends Christina, Will, and Al. She takes on the new challenge well, as the inductees for Dauntless must pass physical tests, as well as conquer their fears, and still be in the top percent of the new people, or else they are thrown out on the streets with the factionless. Even as she faces challenge after challenge, coming out on top after every one, more come her way, as she attempts to hide her secret from those she loves the most, and those that want her destroyed.

One thing to say about Divergent, is the fans of the book will definitely not be disappointed. The plot line of the book and that of the movie fit together very well. Of course, not every detail can be added into the on-screen movie, but the important ones are present. The cast did a wonderful job, with Shailene Woodley portraying a great Tris, Theo James as Four, Zoe Kravitz as Christina, Miles Teller as Peter the bully, Ansel Elgort as Caleb, Maggie Q as Tori, and Kate Winslet in a stunning performance of Jeanine, the Erudite villainess of Divergent. The filming was wonderful as well, catching the action shots in a similar fashion as to how fans read them. Overall, Divergent is up on the scale for book to movie interpretations.