The student news site of Eagan High School

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Captain America: Movie Review

The sequel to Captain America, The Winter Soldier, is now out in theaters. Its been nearly 3 years since we last saw our Marvel hero on the big screen, and so far the box office has been breaking records selling the movie.

In the film, Captain America, the Black Widow, and the Falcon team up to uncover the covert enemy within S.H.I.E.L.D., while also having to face an unknown enemy known as the Winter Soldier. The movie was directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, and has been expected to be a huge hit. They described it as both a thriller and an action movie. Numerous famous faces make an impact in this movie, including Chris Evans as Steve Rogers (Captain America); Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury; Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow); Robert Redford as Alexander Pierce; Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, and Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson (Falcon). The film is truly breath-taking, and is chock full of energetic action scenes.

In the movie, Steve Rogers moves to Washington D.C. in hopes for a peaceful life. He works for the S.H.I.E.L.D. agency, underneath Nick Fury. On what seems to be a typical SHIELD mission with the Black Widow, Captain America soon finds himself in a deathly situation. When he goes to report to Nick Fury, an attack from the enemy ends in what seems to be a murder. Captain America then teams up with the Black Widow and the Falcon to try to defeat the onslaught of enemy advances. The enemy seems to have a secret weapon known as the Winter Soldier, who makes Captain America inferior in the fight. The Winter Soldier is proven hard to defeat because of his metal arm and lightning quick reflexes, and becomes a truly hard target for Captain America to take down. The Winter Soldier is effective in placing a sense of ominous distrust throughout the whole S.H.I.E.L.D. agency, making it hard for anyone to trust anyone. Emily Vancamp will also be back in the film playing Agent 13; a classic love interest for Captain America. The movie has been packed full of incredulous plot twisters, that makes it hard to place any of your attention outside of the film.

The CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) is equally as fantastic, with multiple fighting scenes that make it seem as if you’re standing right next to Steve Rogers, battling it out with him. An actual ship was also used in the movie, The Sea Launch Commander, was used in the set as the “Lemurian Star”. Fight choreography was also intense with all of the flips, kicks, launches, and punches throughout the movie. The movie was shot for about six weeks in Cleveland, Ohio; which was a perfect double of Washington D.C. The film is slightly over 2 hours, and filled with action and a gargantuan amount of surprises that couldn’t have been guessed. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a definite must see!