It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Lauren Kalina

Lights on the University of Minnesota campus

Paige Dresow, Features Editor

Christmas decorations. Holiday-themed ads. Lots of snow. Sometimes it seems like Thanksgiving is skipped during the transition into winter. Red, green, blue, and white holiday lights already decorate Eagan neighborhoods. Commercials are filled with families, dogs, hot chocolate, and campfires. Snowfall has come early again this year, furthering the feeling of holiday spirit.

The reason Thanksgiving seems to be skipped is that retail companies push for early holiday advertisements and merchandise. Stores such as Target and Walmart have been selling Christmas trees and decorations since September. Business Insider reports that this phenomenon, called “Christmas creep,” started when merchants realized that they could boost sales by posting holiday ads in the newspaper before their competitors posted ads. Since then, retail shops have started selling trees, lights, ornaments, decorations, and gifts earlier and earlier to stay ahead of the competitionStarting early has been successful for retail companies: According to Bain & Co, one third of people said that they either like or love early marketing of holiday items. Unfortunately, consumers who are bothered by Christmas creep cannot escape it without going into hibernation, as there is no evading the holiday sales.

Christmas is less than thirty days away, but let’s celebrate Thanksgiving first. Thanksgiving is a chance to get together with friends and family, give thanks for what we have, and eat until we’re stuffed before the bustle of the holidays. While many students cannot wait for winter vacation, Thanksgiving is still a break to enjoy, and counting the days only makes them go by more slowly.

So slow down and enjoy Thanksgiving, but don’t worry; The holidays and winter break are just around the corner.

Decor in Doolittles Woodfire Grill, Eagan
Vivian Phan