Career Building Classes for Juniors and Seniors

Marisa Goffman, Features Writer

Photo Courtesy of roarscholars.com

Students at Eagan High School are getting ready to register for next year’s classes. As students browse through the list, they may find some classes which they don’t know much about. Junior and senior career classes are options that many students have questions about when registering.

Hospitality management is a class run by Mrs. Keech. After reading the syllabus and hearing stories from friends, students may think the class is just one big field trip. However, that is not the case.  Mrs. Keech says this class is based on “joyful learning.” Yes, the students do go on many field trips, but they aren’t just average trips. They go to hotels, restaurants, and even Target Field to learn and observe how the people working there function in their jobs. Students learn how to make connections in the world, which will benefit them even after they graduate high school and college. Before every field trip, the class must do research on where they are going and what they are doing. During the trips, the students meet with business managers and owners to learn how they got to where they are and why they love what they do. After every field trip, the class does something called job shadowing. Mrs. Keech explains job shadowing as “3 days a week where [students] don’t show up for class, they go actually to the hotel and pair up with a partner and a mentor and they’ll be working for a total of 9 hours in the hotel industry.” That is only for the first trimester. One of the last things done in this course is taking an exam to be certified for the Hospitality and Tourism Management Program. Getting certified can help students receive scholarships for college as well as a pay raise almost right away when applying for a job. Hospitality management classes last two periods and are only available to seniors. The class caps off at 24 students, so hurry up and register soon.

Mentor program is another class that many students may not fully understand. Joe Rolf, a senior taking his second year of mentor says, “It is a good way to get a hands on experience outside of school and in the workplace.” In the first mentor course, mentor seminar, students take personality tests to help them narrow their choices in possible careers and what to mentor in. Ms. Anker, the mentor teacher, explains it as, “an inventory of their personalities and aptitudes which helps give a clear picture of what kind of job the student could be attracted to.” Students then research possible jobs and decide what path they would like to try out. Ms. Anker also explains the second course, mentor field; “[Students] leave school, for one trimester, at 12:30 and they go to a mentor site and work with a professional.” She specifically mentions a law firm, which is where Joe Rolf went to mentor. Joe describes, “Being mentored in law is where somebody is always working with you and they pretty much just let you do their work for them.” Even if you have a pretty good idea of what career you want in the future, Ms. Anker still recommends mentor to all because it can help students make connections with professionals and also solidify or narrow down the choices of occupations they want to go into. To enter the program, students must be in 11th or 12th grade and must complete an application.

In addition to hospitality management and mentor, there are many other career development options available to upperclassmen. Subjects include animal care, engineering, healthcare, computers, forensics, and music. Most students of these classes leave EHS for two periods to take them at a different school.

When registering for next year, explore the registration guide and research by talking to teachers and students. Go out of your comfort zone if a class really piques your interest, it may become your favorite!