A Bitter-sweet Halloween

Carson Powell, Co-Editor in Chief

Some of us stop trick-or-treating by the time elementary school is over. Others continue through middle school. A few even give it a go in high school. But are any of us dedicated enough to brave the cold, Minnesota fall weather year after year just for some candy? The answer is yes.

Senior Savanna McKinnon has been trick-or-treating practically since she was born. “I started as a baby,” she said. “I was a bumblebee.” Through snow storms, hockey practices, even a move to North Dakota, she has never missed a year. This Halloween is no different.

McKinnon dressed as a grandma this year for the third year in a row. “It’s my best costume,” she said. “I got my grandma mask on Amazon for $40, but it was so worth it.” She said a few of her favorites from over the years were her grandma costume (obviously), her clown costume- complete with face paint-, and her witch costume.

The tradition of going trick-or-treating is a tradition among McKinnon and a few of her friends. They even drag out their dads sometimes. “The dads have a wagon that just carries our candy,” she said. “They hold it if it gets too heavy because we get so much.”

Although the tradition started as a means to get a ridiculous amount of candy, its purpose has somewhat shifted. Every year, Student Government collects canned goods to donate to a local food shelf and encourages its members to trick-or-treat for them. “Now, we go for canned goods for Student Government and candy,” she said. Collecting canned goods has expanded their group even more, and there are now about six girls that head out each Halloween.

This Halloween is bittersweet, however, for McKinnon, as it is possibly her last year trick-or-treating. “I am 17,” she said. “When I turn 18, my mom says I can’t trick-or-treat anymore because I’ll be an adult.” McKinnon has refused this as much as possible, but is not sure how next year will play out. “We’ll see if I end up going next year in college.”