Eagan’s First Polar Plunge

Lauren Holm, News Editor

EHS has had food drives and other charitable events over the school year, but have you heard about the newest event?  On Friday, April 1st, a polar plunge is happening at EHS to raise money and grow awareness for the unified program at EHS and the Special Olympics.  Since some students might want more information about the event and what it contributes to, I asked Ms. Milleson and Mr. Moore for some information about the polar plunge. 

Q1: What is the polar plunge?

“The Cool School Mobile Plunge gives schools the opportunity to rally around inclusion while participating in a unique and wildly fun event! The Polar Plunge website explained what it is by saying, “The concept is simple: staff and students register and fundraise money for Special Olympics Minnesota and their school, teams, clubs or groups. In the process, participants earn awesome incentives and get the chance to jump into freezing cold water. The day of the event, we bring the Polar Plunge directly to your school with the Plungester, a custom-designed mobile Plunge pool!”

Q2: Why is EHS participating in a polar plunge?

“We are raising money and awareness for our Unified Program and the Special Olympics. The Unified Program is for sending students to compete in sporting events around the metro like Bocce Ball, Basketball, and more. Our goal is get the program up and running to provide more opportunities for more students to participate.”

Q3: How can students be a part of this event?

“Everyone who wants to participate has to register at plungemn.org.  After registering, they will have an account that they can link to social media sites to help raise money. Students must raise money to be eligible to jump; although, any amount of money raised works.”

“The plunge will take place during 7th hour on April 1st. Students will check in during lunch and receive a bracelet to show they are jumping. During 7th hour, they will have time to change into their jumping outfit, go outside to jump, and return to the locker room to put on warm clothes.”

Q4: What are some reasons why students should participate in this event?

1. It’s fun
  2. It benefits EHS
  3. It supports Special Olympics
  4. Create inclusion

Scan the QR codes around the school or sign up on the website to be a part of the plunge! Good luck to all those plunging!