The Commons on Marice Hosts Pedalthon

Courtesy of activeagingweek.com

Courtesy of activeagingweek.com

Lauren Kalina, Editor-in-Chief

The Commons on Marice, an Eagan senior living community, is hosting a stationary bikeathon today from 8:00 AM-7:00 PM. The goal is to have people pedaling for eleven hours straight and biking a total of 1000 miles. This is a community event, open to Commons residents, staff, family, friends, and EHS students.

The bikeathon event is designed to celebrate the International Council on Active Aging’s Active Aging Week (September 27-October 3). Active Aging Week works with organizations throughout the continent to promote positive views on aging and encourage senior citizens to get involved in their community and be healthy. Its goal is to help seniors live fuller lives “physically, socially, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, vocationally and environmentally.” This year’s theme for the week is “Live Your Adventure.”

The Commons’ pedalthon is also organized by FIT Functional Fitness, a program of the Goodman Group, the company that manages the senior living home. FIT focuses on personalized fitness for seniors of all fitness levels to increase their health and wellbeing, and is a mainstay activity at the Commons.

There is still time to drop by 1380 Marice Drive and join the bikeathon if you want to meet some new people, get in your cardio for the day, or make use of the free refreshments table. The Commons on Marice wants your help to reach its goal, so get pedaling!