EHS Prepares for “A Servant’s Christmas”

http://www.eaganhs.portal.rschooltoday.com/page/5810

Elsie Goren, Co-Editor-in-Chief

This winter, the EHS theater performs A Servant’s Christmas, directed by Jerome Melchior. The senior citizen preview is on Wednesday, December 9 at 3:30 p.m. Normal showings proceed on December 9, 10, and 11 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets will be available on the EHS webpage beginning Monday, November 30, and the ticket booth opens on Monday, December 7. Prices range from $5 for students and senior citizens and $7 for adults.

Crafted by local playwright John Fenn, A Servant’s Christmas premiered at St. Paul’s Landmark Center in December 1980. It is the longest running original play in the Twin Cities. Taking place in the 1890s, A Servant’s Christmas weaves the tale of Monica, a Jewish girl, who travels to St. Paul, intending to raise tuition money for Macalester College. She is bright, confident, and derives great pleasure from reading.

Monica lands a job as a servant in an exquisite home along Summit Avenue. When Christmas arrives, the family members and servants devise a unique holiday celebration after a blizzard overcomes the head of the house (Conner Hage) in Stillwater. Meanwhile, Monica struggles to conceal a shocking secret.

Freshman Julia Sexton, who portrays Monica, explains, “the play is like Downton Abbey comes to St. Paul. It shows how she adapts to a new lifestyle, and it’s a very interesting transformation that she goes through.”

A Servant’s Christmas is Sexton’s first high school production. She eagerly explains, “I love performing and it should be really fun to do a high school show.” The powerful script and the use of costumes are her favorite aspects of the performance.

Sexton wants students to grasp the paramount meaning of the play. She elaborates, “the show definitely shows a lot of the different conflicts that America and our world have gone through and how people view each other.”

For more information, visit www.eaganhs.portal.rschooltoday.com.