Four New Clubs Added to the EHS Community

Courtesy of www.ncat.edu, www.patheos.com, www.oasisacademyoldham.org, and www.advantour.com/

Mariam Tahir, News Editor

Here at Eagan there are several clubs, from Discussion Club to Women’s Empowerment Club, that are bound to catch you attention. Adding on to the wide variety is the Secular Club, the Multicultural Student Union, Film Study Club, and Russian Club. With the addition of these four student groups, students can become more involved at Eagan High School.

Elsie Goren, a leader of the Secular Club talked to me about why she thinks it is important addition to the co-curricular activities to Eagan.

What do you think Secular Club will add to the Eagan High School Community?

“We think that secular club will add a sense of inclusion to the Atheists at the school and it will also provide people information about what Atheism is and what it’s really about. Atheism kind of has a negative stigma around it and a lot of people make assumptions and stereotype Atheism and we want to clear that up and it will provide awareness of what it actually is.”

What will a typical meeting look like?

“Each meeting will look fairly different. Most days we’ll have some sort of discussion question and have an intellectual conversation about that topic. We also have several guest speakers lined up from an Atheist Organization based in the Twin Cities. Along with that we will also be a part of some charity projects that members can be a part of.”

How can a student join the Secular Club?

“On Tuesday, November 7th at 2:30 in Room 108, there will be an interest meeting and secular club meeting will be held every other Monday. Grace Randolph, Olivia Gore, and I are all leaders of the Secular Club, so students can definitely come to us if they have any questions.”

Atheism kind of has a negative stigma around it and a lot of people make assumptions and stereotype Atheism and we want to clear that up and it will provide awareness of what it actually is

— Elsie Goren

The Multicultural Student Union has also become active in the last few weeks and Jailyn Robinson, co-leader of MCSU, shares more information about the new student group.

What made you want to create MCSU at EHS?

I wanted to create the club because I saw that students of color, as a whole, didn’t necessarily have a community to call their own in our high school. I created the group out of necessity, simply because there are so many marginalized groups at Eagan that needed unification. Many of us stay in our little bubbles of comfort, which usually mens that we hang out with people that look like us, which is fine but I thought that it would be really special in having a community for all of us.”

What can students expect from joining the club?

“It really depends on the day but usually, there will be music and people mingling about just getting to know each other. Many times we’ll have discussions about various topics or we will be doing other activities that’ll allow us to explore multiculturalism like potlucks, privilege walks, and anything proposed!”

How can a student join the Multicultural Student Union?

“A student can join simply by showing up to a meeting. Also students can go to either Mr.Mass, Mr. Hammond, or myself for extra information.”