Making the switch from 2 school days to 4

Hana Diwan, Photographer

With the newest change of shifting from the current hybrid model of two days a week of in-person and online learning to four days a week, there are many student opinions that have gone unheard. The possible new model would allow teachers to be able to teach more effectively and would offer better learning opportunities. However, due to dissolving A and B cohorts, it also means that the six feet distancing protocol would be changed to three feet. This leaves room for many concerns. 

Kyra Kusneirek, a junior, gives several main reasons for why she strongly believes the four-day school plan is not the best option. She expresses how an increase in school cases and exposure is almost inevitable. Kyra also mentions how this would also affect after school curricula in which they would all be shut down within a matter of time. In addition, she states, “For distance students, staring at a screen for about 6 hours a day for four days a week is 24 hours of staring at a screen a week, not including school.” Through this, she expresses worry about the health of students. Covid has involved a substantial increase in the need for the usage of electronics for learning, which can be highly bad for online students’ health. Lastly, Kyra also brings up the point that this can disrupt students’ life at home. This drastic change in schedule could do more harm than good where in Kyra’s opinion,  “overall, it is not a good idea, especially for the interests of the kids”.

Abiha Kashif, a sophomore, also emphasizes the importance of recognizing and acknowledging the consequences of increased exposure. She believes that merging cohorts for the four-day option can “backtrack the progress that has been made”. Even though covid-safe protocols are planned to be continued to be implemented, it is still much less safer than the current model. She describes the four-day option as one that will possibly have “adverse effects” in which the dangers outweigh the positive aspects of increased learning.

Avika Mathur, a sophomore, also addresses the same issue as Kyra Kusneirek of too much electronic usage, pointing out how online students would also be affected by the four-day model. She states, “As a student who is doing full online learning, having to log on zoom four days a week for six hours a day with minimal breaks seems far too much.” She also addresses the opinions of those in favor of in-school learning, saying, “I understand that we want students to get back to school but personally I don’t think it is fair for some students to have to look at a screen for that long.” Avika strongly believes that putting students at more risk of getting sick and possibly spreading the virus should not be allowed in which as of right now, with a rather high number of cases, it is simply not the best option. 

Overall, many students have a strong viewpoint regarding the possibility of the four-day model. Due to the social distancing being reduced from six to three feet, there is a much greater risk of exposure – a risk that seems far too big in many students’ opinions. The four-day model has it’s good and bad consequences where it would have a substantial effect, causing even more change.