The student news site of Eagan High School

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Almost Maine: A Review of the Heartwarming Show

EHS is known for its high-production, high-quality shows. There is so much talent both onstage and backstage. That’s why I knew I had to go see this year’s winter play, Almost Maine. It was performed on a blackbox stage, which is when the audience is seated directly on the stage on risers (the “black box”). This created an intimate feeling that drew me toward the performance even more. It was almost as if I was partaking in the story itself. Immediately upon walking into the theater, I was welcomed by the sound of gentle folk music. It set the tone for a heartwarming showing. The performances awed me– each scene consisted of only two people and was set in the town of Almost, Maine. It made me laugh and simultaneously tugged at my heartstrings as I witnessed the beautiful humanity of two people working through their complex lives. The actors even served cookies onstage during intermission– I truly felt like I was in Almost, Maine!

After speaking with co-director Mrs. Owzarek, I learned that she has always wanted to do this show. Mrs. Sharrat and Mrs. Owzarek each directed four scenes for a total of eight in the entire production. “It’s just warm and it’s about the human spirit, it’s about relationships,” Mrs. Owzarek remarked. “Every scene is about a relationship between two people, and let’s face it, that’s what life is about.” I am so glad that I was able to see this wonderful romantic comedy. I can’t wait to see what the actors, directors, and tech crew do in future productions.