Eagan High School Blood Drive

Elsie Goren, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Monday, April 11th marks Eagan High School’s blood drive. From 8:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. students and faculty members hoping to make a difference will enter one of several American Red Cross buses located in the stadium parking lot. Besides a feeling of intense satisfaction after the experience, donors can relish the taste of Culver’s Famous Frozen Custard. In other words, one pint of blood corresponds to a pint of custard. Yum.

In order to contribute, a sponsor must be in good general health, weigh at least 110 pounds, and be at least 17 years old. However, Minnesota law permits 16-year-olds with parental consent to give blood to the American Red Cross. Consequently, freshmen are barred from supplying blood. Furthermore, to ensure the safety of involved individuals, a benefactor must wait at least 56 days in between blood drive sessions.

On the actual day of donation, a swift medical examination will be conducted by a trained professional. Pulse, temperature, blood pressure, and hemoglobin levels will be gauged. If deemed healthy, the individual will spend approximately 9 minutes resting patiently as their blood is extracted. Thereafter, he or she may rest for 10-15 minutes, enjoying a beverage and a light treat in the refreshments area.

For those contributing blood, remember to provide two forms of identification, drink plenty of water, get a good night’s sleep, and avoids fatty foods before the procedure. After a pint of blood is drawn, it will take roughly 24 hours for your body to replenish its depleted plasma supply. After four to six weeks, your red blood cell collection will be restored to its former glory.

The American Red Cross explains, “Although an estimated 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood at any given time, less than 10% of that eligible population actually do each year.” The benefits of a contribution include a sense of fulfillment, the knowledge that you preserved a human life, and free juice and cookies.

For more information, visit redcrossblood.org or see senior Hannah LoPresto.