Robots Without Borders Travels to New York

Annika Dean, News Writer

Courtesy of John Peterson

Robots Without Borders has continued to broaden its global outreach with a trip to Manhattan, New York, from December 4th – 5th. During the trip, a small group of Eagan robotics students met with a United Nations official to discuss the spread of STEM education. They met at the UNESCO Building, UNESCO being the branch of the UN that deals with education, science, and culture. Students also had the opportunity to tour the main UN building and sightsee in New York.

During the students’ meeting, their contact, Ana Persic, gave a presentation about her time as a Science Specialist in the UN. Following her talk, Eagan students explained what robotics is about and where they hope to go in promoting STEM education globally. They did not ask for funding, as that is coming through the organization’s sponsors. Eagan students aimed to partner with the UNESCO Center for Peace Summer Camp, a two-week event for student delegates from all around the world. Robots Without Borders wants to integrate robotics into the STEM segment included in the camp.

Courtesy of John Peterson

The meeting also helped provide Robots Without Borders with more engineering contacts in the United Nations. Conner Killeen, a student who went on the trip, illuminates, “The goal of the trip was to get contacts in the UN, then build off of that.” Robots Without Borders plans to use contacts in the UN to reach people and places they would not be able to on their own. John Peterson, a mentor who traveled with the students, describes, “Together we’re going to take Robots Without Borders to the next level.”

Eagan students brought back an important souvenir from the trip: a flag holder containing the flag of each country Eagan robotics has visited so far. The object will be showcased at competitions, along with the accomplishments of Robots Without Borders, to help Team 2220 win the Chairman’s Award, the highest award in the FIRST Robotics Competition. A United Nations flag is in the center, symbolizing their indispensable role in assisting the spread of robotics. Included is the flag of Switzerland, the next place Robots Without Borders plans to venture.

Courtesy of John Peterson