Eagan Band Hosting Carnival Concert

Tori Westenberg, News Editor

Eagan High School’s freshman band is hosting its second annual band carnival concert on January 29th. The carnival concert was created with the goal of encouraging an appreciation of music in local kids and their families. The Carnival will take place from 5 P.M. to 7 P.M. and will feature food, prizes, and numerous instrument-themed games, such as musical chairs with live music and a make your own shaker station.

Elle Bishop, freshman french horn player explains, “at every event in the carnival, concert participants will be able to either make a prize to take home or collect tickets, which can be traded for prizes at the prize table.”

Sophomore saxophone player Makenzie Saeger exclaims, “Who doesn’t love to watch their kids blow a horn or bang some drums and xylophones and have it all come together to make an enjoyable song?”
In 2017, the Eagan band department brainstormed ideas for their first carnival concert. Band director Mr. Benson explains that “some other schools in the Twin Cities had a similar idea for a concert and we adapted it to what we wanted to do here at Eagan High School.” Saeger recounts that to come up with original carnival games, kids thought about their interests outside of school and incorporated them into their ideas to construct their events. “Last concert, between kids and parents, we probably had around 400 people, and I can see that number rising this year,” Mr. Benson reported.

It’s really unique, it’s not like a standard band concert. It’ll be fun to see the band’s creation and the music that ties in along with it.

— Mr. Peterson

At 7 P.M., after the carnival portion of the night ends, kids and families can head to the Eagan High School auditorium for an interactive concert that promises to end on a good note. “The music is super fun, and not your traditional band concert pieces,” freshman clarinet player, Lydia Dawson contributes. Musical highlights include selections from the musicals Hairspray and Marry Poppins, along with a fast paced song titled “Locomotive Chase.” Dancers, acts, and even short films will be showcased during the event.

Band director Mr. Pearson adds, “It’s really unique, it’s not like a standard band concert. It’ll be fun to see the band’s creation and the music that ties in along with it.”