Love That Thing They Do Breakfast

Courtesy of Ms. Keech

A scene from last year’s WOW Breakfast.

Swati Rampalli, News Writer

Coming up on February 13th, Eagan High School is choosing to commemorate students, teachers, and staff members for a free breakfast in the Student Commons! Students are encouraged to nominate someone they appreciate, and both the nominator and nominee are expected to attend. This is the second year the breakfast is taking place, and it takes place from 6:55 to 7:20, where students and staff can convey their admiration for one another.

It’s hard to get recognized in a school this huge unless you’re really academically awesome or good at a sport, but we don’t really often recognize just for being good people.

— Ms.Keech

The director of the breakfast and hospitality teacher, Ms. Keech, was excited to share the purpose of the breakfast. She states that growing up in her family, words have a sense of importance. She claims, “We always honor each other by going around and saying what we like about that person. I didn’t really realize how unique that was until I got out of college.”

Ms. Keech was proud her family created an important tradition, and felt it should also be shared with Eagan High School. When asked about the positive impact it could bring to the school, Keech shares that it’s important for students to be acknowledged for just being a good person. She elaborates, “It’s hard to get recognized in a school this huge unless you’re really academically awesome or good at a sport, but we don’t really often recognize just for being good people.”

After all nominations are submitted through a google form, the nominator and nominee will get an invitation through their PAWS teacher to come to the breakfast. Everyone will be seated at tables and each person will sit next to the person who nominated them. According to Keech, the setting of the Commons will be “state of the art hospitality layout. It’s going to be full of lights with white linen tablecloths.” Along with the formal aura surrounding the room, a video will be played to recognize students nominated by teachers, preferring to take a video rather than submit the form.

Keech was elated to say the breakfast has grown significantly from last year, from 200 people to over 350 people. She claims that people began to see it as something important, where the caramel rolls, sweet rolls, juice, and coffee definitely caught their eye.

As a great way to start the day and give people the chance to be recognized, Keech and Hospitality Management hopes to see everyone who filled out the form in the Commons on the 13th!