HAC sticks it to cancer for the sixth year

Sana Tahir, Features Writer

High Schools Against Cancer’s sixth annual Stick it to Cancer event will be held this year on January 12, however, the fundraising will be taking place this week. They will be collecting donations during all lunches from January 7 through 10. HAC will also be fundraising at 4 hockey games at the Eagan Civic Arena, where all donations will be going to Hope Lodge in Minneapolis.

Hope Lodge is a nonprofit organization that provides cancer patients a place to stay while they are enduring treatment. They are a part of American Cancer Society. The American Cancer Society Hope Lodge program was created in 1970.There are more than 30 Hope Lodge locations around the US and Puerto Rico. On average, 240,000 free rooms are used at Hope Lodge a year. HAC has visited Hope Lodge in the past and their goal is too help as many people affected from cancer as they can.

Sophomore Hannah Larson, a member of HAC since freshman year, explained that she joined HAC, “… because I wanted to try something new and because I love volunteering in my spare time.” Hannah also has had a few family members who have had cancer, which made her joining more sincere.

Throughout all the lunches, HAC members are handing out pieces of paper, in addition to collecting donations, to people who want write a positive and supportive message to someone who is going through cancer. These pieces of paper will come together to create a long chain, symbolizing that everyone is connected in the fight against cancer. This year, unlike years past, they decided to honor everyone who has either been impacted by cancer in the past or right now.

The hockey games will be at Eagan Civic Arena and will be on January 12 at 1:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., and 7:00 p.m. Eagan will be playing Shakopee in these games. Students are encouraged to come and wear white at these games. Let’s stick it to cancer!