The student news site of Eagan High School

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Three senior team finds 2024 Winter Blast medallion

Bomma, Hurwitz, and Wohletz pose with the medallion after their victory on Wednesday.

Seniors Varshini Bomma, Ben Hurwitz, and Angela Wohletz won the Winter Blast Medallion Hunt today, finding the prize hidden in layers of gold translucent ribbon and duct tape under the third (middle) tree near the MPR and east doors.

According to the hunters, the tree imagery of the 5th clue really led them to the correct spot. They have won $50 in catered lunch to school to share and $100 in gift cards to split between them.

See clue explanations below:

Clue #1 – The low amount of snow we’ve gotten this year deserved a mention. “Legend” may refer to the victorious teams from the gym, the trophy cases in the east entrance, or the trophies in room 188 above the east entrance doors. “Don’t come in second” reminds hunters that the medallion can only be found by one person or team. If they are second to the spot, there won’t be anything to find. The capitalized “hunt” refers to the Winter Blast Medallion Hunt as a proper noun but may also lead students to look outside.

Clue #2 – The first line is a nod to the State Champion Unified Basketball team! Way to go Wildcats. “Calm” might lead students away from high traffic passages to a more secluded spots as a bit of diversion. The shiny layers refer to the ribbon around the medallion or the freshly fallen snow. Looking up from the hiding spot, you can see the top two floors of the school.

Clue #3 – “Deft life therein” is an anagram for “under the tree.” The trees drop cones and are cone-shaped while bending with the wind. The width of those trees is thick compared to the smaller-trunked trees closer to the walkway.

Clue #4 – The medallion is wrapped in golden translucent ribbon which makes the diaphanous folds. That phrase is from the classic novel Heart of Darkness which might make a hunter look for a dark place or at least away from direct sunlight. The duct tape surrounding the ribbon is much like the dress up day’s groutfit. The multistory view went to three and the east entrance is the only place to see all three floors at once. “Sans a ripple” hopefully brings students outside as it wouldn’t be near a water fountain. The abundance of lines refers to the student parking lot lines and the banks of doors students pass through.

Clue #5 – The tree under which the medallion is hidden is the third in the row of five outside the east entrance which accounts for the footsteps. Going away from the nuthatch, which is a bird, might make hunters look down toward the ground where the duct tape wrapped packet contains the medallion, hidden in a pile of sticks or thatch.