The student news site of Eagan High School

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Eagan Independent

Athlete of the Month: Junior Olympian Tommy Anderson

The Winter Olympics has concluded but competition on the ski slopes hasn’t slowed down a bit for sophomore alpine skier Tommy Anderson, who will be competing in the Junior Olympics. Starting March 9th, this year the nation’s best skiers will be traveling out to Steamboat Springs, Colorado, to compete in different racing events such as slalom, giant slalom, super G, and downhill.

Even qualifying for such a huge event in the skiing world is viewed as a major accomplishment, but Eagan athletes aren’t satisfied with just that. “I’m hoping to place in the top three places in slalom, and then the top ten in the other events” explained Tommy. Being ranked second in the nation for his age group, this should be no problem. Tommy isn’t the only Anderson who has achieved success in the sport, however. His sister, and a senior at Eagan High School, Sally Anderson has been to the Junior Olympics four times and took seventh place at state this year. The Anderson family clearly has become familiar with success, something that Eagan High School can be proud of.

Coach Tasha McCrank is certainly proud. “Tommy has had some top performances this year and he can definitely win the Junior Olympics. There’s no doubt about it” said McCrank. The ability that the Anderson’s have demonstrated is incredible and we can only wait to see what else they can achieve. The big race is coming up soon and we are all wishing the best of luck to Eagan’s competitor, Tommy Anderson.