Fall Sports Season Kick Off

Football Captains walking to center field for coin toss at game vs. Park on Friday September 10th.

Addi Bronwell, Sports Writer

As school is once again in session, Eagan High School athletics kick right back into action.

The Varsity Football team began the season, alongside the Boys Cross Country team, against Rosemount on September 2nd. The football team was tied neck and neck after the first quarter. Fans saw a glimpse of hope coming into the second quarter. Unfortunately, senior Quarterback Alex Lachenmayer broke his collarbone after a hard hit. Soon after, the game descended and the Rosemount Irish tallied their first win, 47-7. The season opener may not have gone as had planned, but our home opener was a positive showcase of our skills. Going into the subsequent week, the Eagan Football team demonstrated a positive growth. Although Park of Cottage Grove defeated us, it wasn’t without a fight. The final score was 34-44, a much closer match than the previous game, with Eagan having four touchdowns. 

The Eagan Girls Swim and Dive team made waves as they won their first meet against Eastview Thursday, September 2nd. That same day, the Girls Volleyball team faced off against Bloomington Jefferson and lost after a hard-fought five-set match. In the beginning of the match, the Jaguars were up 2-0, but Eagan came back to tie it up 2-2. In the final set, the Jaguars and Wildcats strived until the end, favoring Jefferson 13-15.

Varsity Boys Soccer had their season opener delayed because of lightning, tying their initial game. With that behind them, they were able to snag a win from Cretin 1-0 with a goal from Nicholas Krahn assisted by Derrick Sieh. The JV and 9th grade Boys Soccer teams each won their first games against Cottage Grove 3-0 and 1-0. The 10th grade team held their own with their first win against DeLaSalle 5-0 and a whopping 6-1 victory against Cretin, featuring a hat trick from Brandon Singel.

The Girls’ Varsity Soccer started the season off great with a win in their season opener versus the Knights of St. Michael Albertville. They took the Knights down in a 3-1 battle with two goals from senior captain Lauren Rocheford with the help of Yen Ly and Kate Reilly. Another goal was scored by sophomore Mallory Jensen. The JV, 10th grade and 9th grade team also started their seasons out with games against St. Michael Albertville and Cretin.

Whether it’s on the field, gym, or pool, make sure to come out and support your high school sports teams next time they play! Roll cats!