Fall Sports Wrap Up – 2021

Captured by Shawn Gilson (MNShotz).

Donald Thai, Sports Writer

This year’s fall sports seasons nearly returned to normal. Besides the fact that fans were required to wear masks in indoor events like volleyball and swim & dive, sports activities operated at full capacity, allowing all students and parents into the games. Fans were excited to return to the stands this year, packing the gymnasium during volleyball games and filling up the Eagan Pit at all football games. Athletes also returned back to normalcy, not having to wear masks during practice or games. With the fall season coming to an end, here is a recap for most of the fall sports:

Boys Cross Country

The boys cross country team had a terrific season, with some of their top runners consistently placing in the top ten in each race. In the conference meet, the boys placed sixth out of ten teams with our top two runners placing in the top thirty. At the boys section 3AAA race, the boys placed seventh, with our top runner, Arlan Hegenbarth, placing tenth in the race. 

Girls Cross Country

The girls cross country team had an excellent season, placing first in multiple meets. In the South Suburban Conference meet, the girls team placed third, with Josie Seehafer running the fastest time. During the section meet, the Eagan team placed first; in the state meet, they placed eighth out of sixteen teams, with Rina Aschemann running the fastest times at both meets. 

Girls Swim & Dive

The girls swim and dive team had a great season, reaching a pinnacle at the section tournament. The team was the section 3AA champions for the fourth year in a row, with multiple relay teams and individuals qualifying for the state tournament. 

From the girls swim and dive team, Avamarie Hopewell, Yoo Mi Tomberlin Kim, Kiera Liesinger, and Katherine Randall are committed to swimming/diving in college. The schools they will be attending are: Western Colorado, Augustana University, University of Connecticut, and Arizona State, respectively. 

Girls Volleyball

The girls volleyball team, once again, had a phenomenal regular season. They went 9-0 in conference games, placing at the top. Overall, they tallied up an impressive 25 win season with only 4 losses – all of the losses having only a one set difference. The girls went on to the section tournament, seeded number 1, and they dominated their way to the section finals game against East Ridge. Unfortunately, they lost 2-3 in the section finals. 

From the girls volleyball team, Kendal Kemp, Sienna Ifill, Simara Amador, Lily Bertsch, and Emma Berran have committed to playing volleyball in college. The schools they will be attending are: Auburn University, Marquette University, South Dakota State, Jamestown, and St. Cloud State, respectively.

Boys Soccer

The boys soccer team had a fantastic season, losing less than half of their games during the regular season. Going into the section tournament, the team was ranked the third seed. The boys won their first section game against Bloomington Jefferson. The season came to an abrupt ending for the boys, losing 1-3 in the section semifinals against Eastview. 

Girls Soccer

The girls soccer team had another exceptional season as well, ending their season with an overall record of 10 wins, 6 losses, and 3 ties. The girls were seeded number two in the section, winning their first two games in the section tournament. The team fell in the section finals game, losing 1-0 against the Rosemount Irish. 

From the girls soccer team, Mara Ganje will be attending Colorado State University Pueblo to play soccer in college. 

Boys Football

The boys football team had an exciting season with fans watching each game in full capacity. The team went on a two game winning streak, taking victories against Hopkins and Burnsville. Unfortunately for the team, they ended their season in the section quarterfinals against Stillwater.