David Bowie Tribute

Greta Jonas, Features Writer

David Bowie cannot just be described as a ¨rock legend¨, but as the innovator of modern rock. Unlike many before him, Bowie refused to conform to the same sound or cliches as other artists. His innovative dynamic drove him to advance his music to what can only be explained as an art form.

David Bowie, born David Jones, grew up in southern England being highly influenced by his older brother, Terry. It was Terry who introduced David to the world of rock. After graduating high school, David went on to become a commercial artist, later putting together a band called Davy Jones and The Lower Third. But Bowie, not wanting to be confused with Davy Jones from the Monkees, changed his name to David Bowie, inspired by the 19th century pioneer, Jim Bowie.

After his unsuccessful solo album was released he went through an experimental stage in his life, living in a Buddhist monastery for several weeks. He soon signed a record deal with Mercury Records and released ¨Space Oddity¨ the following summer. The song rapidly gained popularity, in large part due to the use of the song during the coverage of the Apollo 11 moon landing. Bowie continued releasing hit after hit, along the way introducing alter ego Ziggy Stardust and accompanied by the backing group, The Spiders from Mars. By the mid 70’s Bowie had dropped the alter ego and underwent a full makeover. Soon after Bowie´s first ever No. 1 in the U.S. he moved out to Los Angeles and starred in the science fiction film The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Bowie went on to star in many other movies such as The Hunger, Labryinth, and the Basquiat. Bowie was nominated for 52 awards, winning 14 in all including 2 BRIT awards, 1 Grammy, and 3 MTV Video Music Awards. David Bowie kept the truth of his illness a secret, surprising most people when he died of liver cancer on January 10th 2016. David Bowie will not only be remembered as a rock legend but as the innovator of modern day music, combining many different aspects of life–literacy, art, fashion, sexual exploration and social commentary–into one breathtaking genre of music.