Covid-safe Halloween fun

Sana Tahir, Features Writer

Halloween is coming up, a holiday where you trick or treat and get together with your friends for a spooky night of fun. However, this year, Halloween will have to look a little different. Because of recommended Social distancing because of the easy spread of Coronavirus, trick-or-treating, and going to parties isn’t a great option this year. I asked fellow Eagan students and teachers how they plan to spend Halloween this year and make the most out of a situation that might not be what they had expected:

“We are getting dressed up as famous pilots. My daughter is Amelia Earhart and my sons are going to be the Wright brothers, they are 6, 4, and 2 years old. We will do some trick or treating at some houses we know but at a safe social distance. My kids love Halloween and look forward to it all year!” – Mr. Kalmi

“My daughter is 7 months old and we’re going to dress her up in a costume ( a chicken!) and head to a few of our friend’s houses. Mostly for photo ops, but I’m hoping to get some candy for myself too!” – Mr. Letcher

“I’m going to Chipotle to get 50% off!” – Kaylee Dehnke

“I’m bringing my dog to the Caribou drive-through in her lobster costume so she can have her picture take and get a free pup cup!” – Bryna Gulbrandson

“I’m gonna have all my siblings and a friend come over and watch a scary movie and bake Halloween cookies!” – Amilly Espinoza

“We’re dressing up as E.T. characters: my daughter will be E.T., my husband will be Elliott and I’ll be Gertie. We’ll go trick-or-treating at my Grandma and Grandpa’s house and leave candy outside for trick-or-treaters so we can still participate in the fun but follow social distancing too!” – Mrs. Dewing

Although safe ways to celebrate Halloween this year are limited, you can still have a fun, spooky Halloween! Here are a few ideas for a fantastic Halloween!

• Have a horror movie/ show marathon! Netflix has recently added many creepy shows that are perfect to watch on Halloween. “The Haunting of Hill House” is a supernatural horror show that will have you up at night! If you’re looking for a lighter Halloween movie to watch, “Hubie Halloween” will be perfect!
  • Carve pumpkins! A classic activity for Halloween. It’s also a great option for a fun activity to do outside where you can safely maintain distance from others. 
  • Hold a “best costume contest” virtually with your friends! A great way to be able to show off your look safely!
  • Bake cookies! Halloween themed or not, this is a great activity for a cozy night.  
  • Make goodie bags and leave them on your neighbor’s or friend’s doorsteps! This is a safe alternative for trick or treating and giving people a Halloween treat!
  • Go to a haunted house! All haunted house employees are required to wear masks and stay 6 feet from visitors at all times, so if you’re in the mood to get spooked, this is a great option.  
  • Go to a drive-in! Many drive-in theaters will be playing Halloween classics! This way, you can go out and experience Halloween with others, while staying safe!
  • Many restaurants and fast food places are holding deals for Halloween, especially if you show up in costume. Here are a few: Baskin Robbins, Blaze Pizza, Chilli’s, Chipotle, Dairy Queen, Red Lobster.

Have fun this Halloween and make sure to stay safe and healthy!