Red Cross Blood Drive Set for October 11th

Swati Rampalli, News Writer

Students at Eagan High School can participate in the blood drive that will take place on Tuesday, October 11th. From 8:00 am to 2:00 pm, students wanting to donate blood will enter one of several Red Cross buses in the stadium parking lot.

Other than the satisfaction of saving someone’s life, donors will receive a coupon for half off front gate adult admission at Valleyfair on Fridays and Sundays until October 30th. Donors also receive free custard from Culver’s!

Courtesy of www.grace-andover.org
Courtesy of www.grace-andover.org

All donors must be at least 17 years old, with the exception of 16 year-olds who must obtain parental consent, weigh at least 110 pounds, and be in good general health.

The donation process itself takes about an hour. First, Red Cross staff and volunteers go over basic eligibility and donation information, and the donor will be asked to show a form of ID. Then, a private interview will be conducted where pulse, temperature, blood pressure, and hemoglobin levels will be checked. If able to donate, the donor will wait about 8-10 minutes while a small pint of blood is extracted. Soon after, the donor may rest while enjoying refreshments and the feeling of accomplishment that accompanies donating blood.

DonatingĀ even a small pint of blood can save someone’s life. Most people have enough blood to spare, yet there is still not enough to go around. Donating blood ensures thatĀ it’s there when needed.

According to Interact Club supervisor Mr. Wirsbinski, “It’s important to hold a blood drive at a high school because it’s important for young people to notice everything going on around them. It gives them a new experience and feeling of helping someone.”

Giving blood is a simple thing to do, but it can make a big difference in the life of another.